Name: Robert SCONCE
Robert Sconce's Station 
Various vague references indicate that a Robert (also called "Bauld Robin") Sconce established a cabin in Bourbon County. William Clinkenbeard (Beckner 1928:120) referred to Sconce as a "new settler" who had cleared land and built a one-room log cabin in the fall of 1789. This detail was related in connection with the 1789 capture and escape of Bluejacket, the famous white man turned Shawnee, who led many attacks against Kentucky settlers. Clinkenbeard related that Bluejacket was captured and tied with "sappers string", a cordage plaited from nettles or a type of hemp about three fingers wide on one end and tapering at the other end. Involved in the capture were William Clinkenbeard, Stephen Boyle (Biles in Clinkenbeard's account), Jimmy Baythe, John Morgan's son, David Hughes, James Ledgerwood, and Major Andrew Hood, among others. Bluejacket was captured on the Ohio and taken to Sconce's Station (probably on the way to his ultimate destination of Strode's Station).
The house was too small to hold everyone so each man took turns standing sentry. Just before dawn, Stephen Boyle fell asleep while on guard duty. Bluejacket managed to cut his bonds and made his escape. Mrs. Sconce gave the alarm and Sconce's dogs were set on his trail but he successfully evaded capture.
Isaac Clinkenbeard (Draper mss. 11CCl-4) placed the site "way down by Millersburg or a little this side" [toward Winchester]. William Clinkenbeard (Beckner 1928:122) somewhat clarified the location by placing it two miles from Flat Lick Creek toward Winchester. William Sudduth (Draper mss. 12CC79-94) placed the site 5-6 miles from Paris. Daniel Spohr (Draper mss. 11CC107-110) placed the site on a road which appears to have been the trace heading from Strode's Station to the Lower Salt Springs [this according to James Sconce, Robert's son, who deposed in 1823 that he moved in 1786 to his place of residence at time of deposition on this road (Ardery 1940:80)). Robert himself provides evidence that it was in Bourbon County since his will was entered in 1808 in the Paris courthouse. These slim clues collectively suggest that the site is in the area between Harrod's and Roger's Creek, southwest of Black's Creek (formerly Little Flat Lick Creek), northeast of Stoner's Creek and north of Strode's Creek. A map reconstruction of Bourbon County historic landmarks compiled by Alice Rogers Clay Blanton in 1934 (m. I. King Library:Map Department) indicates Robert Sconce on present Jackstown Road. However, this area was owned by James Sodowski and remained in his family for several generations. As Sconce did not acquire his land through a Virginia grant and a complete deed search was infeasible, his site is not more precisely located, nor is its archaeological potential determinable.
1. Nancy OMalley, Stockading Up, Kentucky Heritage Council, Frankfort Kentucky, revised edition, 1994, pp. 85-86.
Last Modified: November 5, 2000
Created: August 15, 2002